Monday, September 5, 2011

The Art of Waffles


 It's Sunday.....(wait....I mean Monday) and that means it's waffle morning at my house!  I just love waffles.  And I mean it.  I LOVE WAFFLES!  It reminds me of being a little girl, laying in bed, smelling those lovely, little round pieces of art being cooked by my mom.  My mom was a good cook....and I'm so grateful she always took the time to show me the "ways of the kitchen."  With this lovely cold front that has finally made it's way through Oklahoma, I've been re-energized to get crackin in the kitchen...so my family got beans and cornbread and apple pie for dinner last night.  Yes....I'm ready for Fall. 

I've been working on the "perfect" waffle recipe.  I've 'tweaked' and 'twirped' and 'twisted' waffle ingredients until I came up with what I think is the perfect waffle.  And after many practice runs on my family, I think we all agree on this recipe.

I also think the right waffle maker is key to a perfect waffle.  I prefer a traditional waffle maker rather than the popular Belgian waffle maker.  I like a thinner, traditional waffle.  It just feels like "home" to me.  The traditional waffle maker is harder to find however.  I found this Cuisinart waffle maker on Amazon.  And I love it.  It's all I use now.  Just be sure you season it good.  It won't stick if you do!

 Enjoy!!


 Waffles
Ingredients
  • 1-¾ cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • 1 tablespoon Sugar
  • 2 whole Egg Yolks
  • 1-¾ cup Milk
  • ½ cup Melted Butter (1 Stick)
  • 2 whole Egg Whites
  • ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Instructions
In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly, add milk and melted butter. Pour this mixture into the flour until just combined, leave it slightly lumpy.
In a separate bowl combine egg whites and vanilla and whip to stiff peak. Then gently fold into the bowl of batter.
Then pour batter into a preheated waffle iron (about ½ cup). Cook until golden. Repeat until you use up all of your batter. Top with maple syrup.
Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment